Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Unexpected Inspiration

In case you were wondering, I am completely new to this whole "blog" thing. And, as a new blog writer, I can admit to placing quite a bit of pressure on myself to produce something that is worth reading, in turn forcing me into a writer's block. And yet I am in love...

I love the possibility of connecting with new people, maybe from around the block, and maybe from around the globe...

I love the opportunity to share ideas that may otherwise be left to collect dust in the nooks and crannies of my brain...

I love to challenge my ideas and my ways of thinking, because through this challenge I hope to never become "so comfortable" that I forget that not everyone thinks like me...

and, of course, I love to write about those things most important to me - my partner, my son, my job, my beliefs -these things inspire me- because I am so very proud of my family and of where I am in life, that I feel they deserve to be "shouted about" from the highest electronic mountaintop possible.

But I found a new inspiration the other day, and I must admit it was quite unexpected...I have been searching for a way to pull up random blog entries to read (and not blog entries with "random" in the title...frustrating!). Anyway, the best I could do was type in different subjects into my trusty "Google Blog Search" that I might be interested in reading about. Well, during this quest, I happened upon a blog entry that caught my attention. In it, a mother described a recent trip to the mall to see Santa with her son and her daughter. After getting a chuckle about a certain reaction to the mall Santa, I decided to read other posts by this author.

Needless to say, I spent the next 30 minutes reading previous posts and reflecting upon this stranger's experiences. And the crazy thing is, while I was instantly drawn to the reality and the truth that this mother shared, I was able to find something I wasn't even looking for, nor even knew I needed: affirmation.

Sure, nothing this mom said had anything to do with me directly -- that's just the point. In reading about her experiences, her joys, her sadness, I found I was able to relate to so much of what she was saying. It's nice to know that, even at our lowest of lows or at our highest of highs, we are never alone. There is always someone, somewhere, who is needing that glass of wine or that parenting manual just like you...

I'd like to say "Thank You" to the mother/blog author who offered me a little unexpected inspiration. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Check her out...
http://adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com/

Happy Journeys!

3 comments:

stellarwisdom said...

Hi there! I'm a mom. I'm also a friend of Cindy's. I read your posts on her blog and really liked your thoughtful sensitive commentary. I love your nascent blog! Keep up the great job!

(And don't worry about writer's block, the best cure for that is to write write write. Allow yourself to write "bad" for a while and the block will give up and you'll start writing "good" again. And don't worry about labels such as "bad" or "good" either for that matter!)

Your holiday post made me smile & chuckle. I hate malls & shopping too and can certainly relate to not wanting to get dragged anywhere within a hundred miles of retail establishments at this time of year!

I also love Riesling *chuckle* and can relate to your struggles as a new parent. I have a couple of good friends known as Shaye's Two Mommies who are in a similar situation as you and your partner. Congratulations on your new family! And lots of hugs & cheers for being brave and taking on such a challenging situation in your lives.

I think the most important thing anyone can give a child is people who love them and love each other. If things seem to get tough or some idiots act ignorant or bigoted, know that you are making a wonderful positive difference in your son's life by giving him loving parents. BOTH of you!

I don'[t have a blog here, but you can look me up here:

myspace.com/KaliSekmet

Cindy Breninger said...

Oh my gosh, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about something I have written. You made me cry-in a good way! :) I love your writing style and think you will be a great blogger! Please take care and know that this comment has taken me about 10 minutes because I have the slowest computer on the planet, but this was so worth the wait! Thanks again, that was so sweet!
Cindy
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You found yourself a great blog! I'm a big fan of Cindy's blog. Glad you found mine as well, and now I, yours. See how this thing just spirals out of control (of course in the coolest, bestest, raddest way)? I look forward to reading about your adventures in parenting.