Wednesday, February 20, 2008

He's got good tastes!

Our son is an American Idol freak. We had an inkling that something was up last week, but last night, his fanaticism was confirmed.

Husband and I are by no means eager to expose our son to the black hole that is known as television. Between his daddies and his grandparents, our son spends his time eating, playing, napping, and being read to and loved on by any given member of our household. The television may be on in the background, but usually we work to keep him occupied with something a little less 'brain mushing' than the boob-tube - take, for instance, a rousing session of baby-talk or peek-a-boo...

Husband and I, however, do enjoy a few "quality" (ha ha) programs, and American Idol is near the top of our list at the moment. So last night, husband and I were going through our nightly "settling in" procedure, preparing ourselves for a little AI action before bed. With dogs in crates, teeth brushed, and son in pajamas, all was looking promising as we prepared to enjoy (and, let's just be honest, criticize) the candidates' performances of 60's era tunes.

Husband turns on the television and DVR box at 8:20 (hey...there will be no commercial watching if we can help it!)...just as I am laying son down to sleep. As soon as the intro music comes on, son's eyes open and the fussiness commences. I pick son up and gently attempt to rock him in my arms, but to no avail. Son simply won't have any of it, and he fights to see the television. As soon as the first song starts, son is instantly calm (and glued to the television). As the first commercial break ensued, the fussiness resurfaced...husband couldn't fast forward fast enough! Again, a new song, and again, a calm baby.

By the third song, son was fast asleep and husband and I were left scratching our heads. I guess if our child is going to be addicted to something at 7 months, there are worse things that could capture his interest! I don't know if husband and I could stand to watch Teletubbies or Barney as we attempt to relax the day away!

Our son - his first words will probably be something like "that was just horrific" in Simon's trademark British accent...

11 comments:

OHmommy said...

Okay... the last line, set me into a fit of giggles. Can you imagine?

I puffy heart children with good taste!

My daughter at 2 was able to fetch me my Coach bag or my Louis Vuitton, when asked.

JustADad said...

Sadly, yes, I can imagine...

"Papa, I just didn't get this sandwich! It was not your best grilling performance...forgettable, actually."

Clearly I have my work cut out for me!

But, talent, as your daughter's sharp eye proves, is talent...

Maybe we should just celebrate them over a glass of wine? It IS Friday, after all *grin*

Monica said...

ha ha -- I too am an AI FAN. And so I have to say that I double-puffy-heart with pink satin lace and a big arrow through it your son. He clearly is going somewhere in life. Just don't let me catch him saying, "that was hot dawg!"

A Mom Two Boys said...

That's my kind of kid! My oldest (almost 3) dances like a fool around the living room. The baby (6 months) just looks at the TV and smiles.

Too funny.

But now I want to know what other shows you guys watch...

Came here by way of OhMommy!

DIXIECHICK said...

I am also a huge AI fan...come check out my site..I do recaps of every show...give predictions, etc...

Bloghopping
Dixiechick

Anonymous said...

Falling asleep after 3 songs? Yeah... pretty much what I would do. Actually, his endurance beats me by 2 songs. :D

Jennifer said...

that is hilarious! :) when my son was little, like brand new little, my husband bowled on Tuesday nights so I would do up whatever had to be done around the house, bath, lotion/powder/diaper and dress my son, and get us all comfy cozy in front of the tv. and we would watch AI. :) I think it soothed him too, b/c he would fall fast asleep!! :) Actually we are fixing on watching it tonight. now i have three kids and we all watch it together. love that show! :)
good family tradition. lol

lookin' forward to reading more of your blog, but gotta run & get things done to watch AI
toodles. jenn

OHmommy said...

where are you?

crying.....

BusyDad said...

haha! either that or he's gonna start every sentence with "hey man..." I have to admit I don't watch AI, but from the clips I have seen, that Randy guy always says that. But that was season 1. He could have moved onto another catch phrase, in which case I am feeling very un-hip and dated right now.

Anonymous said...

haha! My daughter is three and loves American Idol. When she was younger, she just called it, "sing". And would beg to watch. This is my first time stopping by your blog, but I love it!

Nina;-) said...

Hi,
aaaawwww kids are so precious arnt they. My boys like american Idol only when they have the recap shows with the worst preformances, lol. Im trying to teach them to be noncritical about people but it IS hard to do when you have someone that should CLEARLY NOT be on AI.
Just blogghopping, come check out my site anytime you want, TTFN, Nina :-)