Thursday, February 7, 2008

Obsessions

Over the past few days, I have had a lot of "quiet" time in my classroom, as my students have been completing their state-mandated high-stakes writing assessments. There is only so much "desk organization" a person can do while students are quietly working...

And so, I began to think about "thinking"... Given the time, it is amazing what the brain can come up with to fill the "boredom". So, as my students were occupied, I allowed my mind to wander. Over the course of about an hour, here are some of the "obsessions and/or captivations" on which I contemplated:
  • "Lost" - As we spent the entire day on Sunday "catching up" on Season 3 of Lost, it occurred to me that perhaps the title does not refer to the passengers of Oceanic Flight 815, but rather, to the audience that is trying to keep up with each new twist and turn of the show itself...
  • RV's - We are so fortunate to have been able to join some close friends on several RV excursions. I can't wait until we are able to purchase our own RV so that we can provide our son with the opportunity to explore "whole new worlds"...
  • The Cabin - My aunt and uncle built a cabin in the mountains of Montana over 30 years ago. Some of my earliest memories are of the time I spent at this magical place - and now, in a little over a month, I will be introducing my own son to the cabin (and, as such, will finally feel a little old!)...
  • Post Secrets - I'm not sure I have ever visited a more dramatic website. Some of the secrets will make you smile, while others are disturbing or sad. However, they all simply and distinctly human. Think the opposite of people watching -- thought reading...
  • You Tube - Only for the videos in which people are singing. If I could add one "ability" to my existence, it would be the ability to sing. There are so many talented people out there, and I love listening to them share their gifts...
  • Google - I often wonder how we made it through life without the power of Google. While it has tremendous educational potential, I enjoy Googling people I know. Give it a shot - you never know what you might find!
  • Do-It-Myself Projects - Our home is filled of D-I-M outcomes, some of which even look good! I'm ok with wood laminate flooring and paint, but clearly need some more work when it comes to cabinet refinishing. Oh well, maybe I'll start on them again soon...

I am sure I have many, many more obsessions and captivations. In fact, these were just the proverbial tip of the iceberg. However, now that I have shared, I would love to know what interests you. Please leave a comment and share - I love hearing from you!

Peace!

His2Dads

4 comments:

OHmommy said...

LOL, I felt lost watching LOST last night. Today, I am really confused.

I lived for teaching days like yours. :) Those are the best.

What is post secret? Am I missing something?

JustADad said...

Regarding LOST, I couldn't agree more! But I almost don't want them to find the cabin, 'cuz it freaks me out just a little! *grin*

A day when all the kids are quiet? They are rare indeed!

And, Post Secret is a website based on a project in which people send anonymous post cards in and share their "skeletons"...It is absolutely fascinating...but warning, they can be incredibly graphic! If you are interested, Google it!

You Rock, Ohmommy!

Monica said...

OK I'm not reading about the LOST comment -- I'm still half-way through season 3 so I'm not LOST yet, although it's getting pretty crazy. I always wonder how those guys (writers) on that show come up with this plot -- do they work backwards do you think? ugh. i heart jack, though.

Lisa said...

I love me some Lost too. Who are the other survivors? Do tell!!! I also don't know what I'd do without Google & try my hand at the DIY stuff. Wish I was a little better at it though!

Your little bebe is a doll!