Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Case of "BASE"

Recently, I have come down with a case of "BASE" (not to be confused with "Ace of Base", which I came down with briefly in the 1990s). BASE, or "Blog Avoidance Syndrome - Extreme", hit me over a week ago, and I am just now making my recovery.

There are relatively few symptoms associated with BASE; in fact, I myself experienced only one such sign - I could not bring myself to log in to my own blog, nor could I manage to read any of the amazing blogs that are out there. It's been a rough week, but I am glad to be back in action.

As parents of a 6 1/2 month old, we have had a relatively busy few weeks. When we first welcomed our son home, I was in awe of the power of the swing. In only three months, it seems we have 'graduated' to our next magical object - the walker. Husband and I decided to make this purchase after our recent trip to Florida, where our son got his first taste of the freedom of the walker.

Let me tell you, this has been one of the best $35 purchases we have made yet as parents. Of course, we are getting our first glimpse of what our son's mobility will do to our own lives, and have been forced to tell our son that he is forbidden to crawl or walk for several months since we made this purchase. Our dogs and cats have had to re-evaluate their nap spots, of course, as our son seems to lack the finer skills of braking or turning. But all in good time!

My mornings and evenings now consist of gently pushing my son away from me in his walker, whereby he "laughs" and tries to run me over (repeat this process at least 700 times, and you have a pretty good idea of my life). Let's just hope than when driving lessons come, I will have come up with a "new" way to teach our son...

We also experienced our 6-month check up last week. This time, husband was able to accompany us to the doctor. If you read my earlier post about our son's first round of shots, you can well imagine how I was using husband's presence to my advantage....

"I'm so glad you are here this time. You get to be the one to hold our son down while he
gets his shots. You will finally know how I felt."

(Ok, so maybe I was a little bitter....) Let me just take this moment to say that bitterness never pays off. Oh, it might feel good at the moment, but it always comes back to kick you in the butt. Now don't get me wrong...the last thing in the world I want is for my son to be in pain. I was simply expecting husband to experience what I went through during our last visit to the doctor's.

Bitterness put on a big ol' boot, and landed a square kick right to my bum. Our son barely cried....in fact, he almost laughed. Yay for the little man! On the outside, I was the proud papa I needed to be, but on the inside, I have to admit I uttered a little "hmph" at the situation...But I knew how to put things right in my world....I took 2 lolipops on our way out! So there! If husband wouldn't share in my "pain", I would at least get double the enjoyment from my Dum-Dums!

It's funny how the little things in life have such a big effect! *grin*

His2Dads

2 comments:

OHmommy said...

BASE.... you silly daddy. :) Nice to have you back and see that everything is fine. 6.5 months already. Where did the time go?

Anonymous said...

Whew, glad you fought it and recovered. I have seen what BASE does to lesser men and it is not pretty. Yo dude I don't want to read about your Halloween costume! At least give me a Thanksgiving post!! Talk about toying with your public.