Monday, December 17, 2007

Protect Your Christmas Spirit!

Having moved to the southwest from a "cowboy state" up North, I clearly understand the fact that I am not in proverbial Kansas anymore...While, for much of the year, I really do appreciate the desert climate, I often find myself missing distinct seasons. I also admit the fact that the desert has made me a GIANT WUSS.

I spent 24 years with winters that brought below-freezing temperatures and, usually, an over-abundance of snow for sledding, shoveling, and, of course, more than enough in which to get your car stuck. I used to love to sit inside and watch it snow or blizzard...there is something very peaceful to me about having the weather force you to slow down and appreciate all that you have. Now, I sit inside and watch it snow or blizzard on tv, and when I go outside I bundle up because 50 degrees is too cold for my blood (see GIANT WUSS comment above).

Another really unfortunate effect of this lack of snow is that I have found it increasingly difficult to find a sense of Christmas spirit each year. This year has been the hardest yet...my "theme song" has been "Where Are You, Christmas", and I have been desperately seeking even the tiniest morsel of holiday cheer for about 3 weeks. Thankfully, I found just the morsel I needed this weekend, and I had to fight a complete stranger to keep it.....

Saturday, our son decided it was time he roll over by himself for the first time, and I managed to capture the moment on tape (I mean, come on, who actually is able to capture moments like that...Go ME!). Later that evening, we bundled up and drove to a baby shower/Christmas party organized by our son's 4 Godparents (hey, we are a non-traditional family, so we gave our son two sets of Godparents in keeping with the non-traditional theme!). The events of the day were just the morsel of cheer I needed.

Sunday, we woke with a mission in mind...by 3 p.m., our tree was decorated, the Christmas village set up, and house smelling of pine (thanks to a fantastic room spray from Williams-Sonoma)...(and thanks to those of you who posted your encouragements!). By 5 p.m., an un-planned trip to Target allowed us to get much of the shopping done for our son. At 5:30 p.m., we loaded up the grandparents, an uncle, the baby, and headed across town to a new shopping center to visit Santa and take some photos.

Ok. It's 50 degrees. We are outside in a long line, waiting for our turn to enter the "Norman Rockwell House" staged in this shopping center. Even though we are bundled up, we are quite cold, but still very cheery. In fact, normally I cringe when strangers poke their heads into the stroller, when an elderly Japanese couple took it upon themselves to pat our son on the head and smile, we pleasantly smiled and laughed with them. They added another morsel of holiday cheer to my plate! And then he entered the picture.

I would like to take this time to warn you all of an individual who will do his very best to steal every last can of Who-Hash from your cupboard, taking with him every last crumb of the season with him. He's a larger man, perhaps in his 60's; his hair and beard could use a little trim, and maybe even some Just-For-Men hair coloring. He has a disturbing affinity for red clothing, and apparently he is so good at spirit-thievery that he doesn't have to go anywhere or do anything but wait for his unsuspecting victims while he is seated comfortably in a big, plushy chair in a warm little building.

Seriously, Santa needs to be placed on the naughty list. I know it can't be pleasant to have about a gazillion children seated on your lap everyday, while you have to smile and say cheese for each photo and listen to their most precious Christmas wishes. But come on, you are SANTA for crying out loud. At least you could ACT friendly. Alas, Santa barely greeted us, and seemed very put off by the fact that we had to "un-pack" our son from his bundles and the stroller, as though he was late for his pint, barstool, and his latest effort to find the next Mrs. Clause from the smoke-filled dive...But, ha!, Santa, your efforts to take my Christmas spirit were in vain...and you were foiled by your OWN picture-taking business...

As you can see, our son is advanced (ha ha)...he was able to see right through you, and clearly he was NOT impressed by your unfriendliness. Our son's face seems to say, "Seriously, Daddy and Papa...this guy is not cool...should I share some of my gassy-ness with him?".

And, in this one picture, my Christmas spirit is encased....I just need to look once at my son to realize how lucky I am!



To those of you battling winter weather...bundle up, drive safe, and take a moment to enjoy the peace of the season...

You all Rock!

His2Dads

2 comments:

OHmommy said...

Ahhh, how did you guess?

We have over a foot of snow. I forgot to tuck my jeans into my boots and walked around with WET jeans all morning long. That was right after I realized my daughter was making snow angels in her sweatpants not snowpants.

By the way... your son... genius. MENSA. He saw right through him.

By the way... your writing. Incredibly. Nearly MENSAish. I love your descriptions, felt like I was with you guys. Thanks!

50 degrees seems... oh, so warm right now. We are heading south of the border right after the new year. Yummy mojitos in the sun. Mama can't wait!!!

Johnny said...

great picture.. thanks for sharing..