Monday, December 24, 2007

Not-So-Urgent Care

Sport. Tiger. Champ. Little Man. There are a myriad of nicknames families lovingly bestow upon their children, nicknames that, over time, are set aside, perhaps to be used again on children in the next generation. I, as with just about every kid in the world, had a cherished nickname of my own.

As a kid, I had a talent...I mean, I really had some skills. Unfortunately, these skills were not in playing catch, or in art or music, or in any other useful or normal arena...No, no, my skills were much more obscure. I had the ability to catch just about any cold or flu in a five-state vicinity. Unfortunately, I often seemed to manage to share my bug with my uncle, who never seemed to get sick unless I was visiting. Hence the name he crowned me with....Typhoid J. And to this day, I still have my skills and my nickname.

So husband came home after school on Friday complaining of body aches and fever. After some TLC from yours truly, he awoke the next day feeling much better. Over that same night, I, on the other hand, had been hard at work performing a hostile takeover of his flu virus. Of course, it should never be said that I am a poor host...whenever a bug drops in for a visit, I serve it whatever it needs to become stronger. Like I said...I have mad skills.

By noon this afternoon, the fruits of my labor had ripened. Chills. Fever. Headache. Nausea. Body Ache. Sore Throat. And more chills. Thank goodness, for urgent care, right?

I don't know about any of you, but I have yet to find an "Urgent/Now/Quick" Care that actually lives up to its name. After a 3-hour visit to the urgent care up the road, I made my yearly vow to remember to get a flu shot next year. With that being said, I'd like to thank my urgent care..

Thank you, urgent care:
*for keeping your facility almost clean
*for allowing your receptionists to make those important personal phone calls on a whim
*for saving money by keeping the heat turned WAY down
*for encouraging your nursing staff to step out into the lobby to check up on the scores to the football game every five minutes
*for hiring nurses who say things like, "you look bad...but a lot of it is in your head"
*for not supplying ANY reading material in your exam rooms...so that patients can focus on being sick while they spend an hour staring at the walls.
*and finally, for staying consistent with any other urgent care experience...being a Not-So-Urgent Care...

Typhoid J. That's me! Stay healthy, everyone!

Peace :)

His2Dads

1 comment:

OHmommy said...

((Hugs)) Hope you are feeling better soon. It's no fun being sick.