Monday, December 3, 2007

Links to Fame and other Comments on Society

I can officially say that I have a link to fame. Sort of. My partner is the direct link, but, if I can't claim full marriage rights, then I sure as h-e-double-hockey-sticks am gonna claim partnered links to fame (unless, of course, someone wants to try and legislate this right as well!...ANYWAY....ha ha).

My partner was at a conference with his principal about 6 months ago, where he had the opportunity to eat lunch with Erin Gruwell. Yes. THE Erin Gruwell. As her peeps, we call her "Ms. G-to-the-Ruwell", but you should probably call her Ms. Gruwell, or better yet, just speak to her through one of us as to avoid all direct communication and possible wastes of her time.

Ok, ok, so I didn't know who she was either. But, being the resourceful guy I am, I did what anybody in my position would do - I Googled her (what did we do before Google? Seriously!). I'll wait here while you do the same (come on, you can't expect me to do EVERYTHING for you, can you??? ha ha). Just in case you are running late for your hot date/job interview/reality tv show marathon, I'll save you the effort...

Erin Gruwell is the teacher portrayed in the movie "The Freedom Writers", based upon Gruwell's book "The Freedom Writers' Diary". If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it - it is one of those movies with an invaluable message and a brutal truth. Oh, and Hillary Swank played Erin. So now maybe you can see why I am famous.

The really cool thing is that she insisted (and was relentless, I might add) that my partner participate in her Teachers' Institute....Even though the timing was not the greatest, he is there now and, from the couple of brief phone conversations we have had, he seems to be having a great time...Cali for a week instead of work....hhhhmmm...rough, huh? Needless to say, I am very proud of my partner, but I can't wait to have him home tomorrow...especially because our son had his first tooth break through yesterday, and life is pretty chaotic. That and I just miss the goofball *grin*.

Anyway, and all kidding aside, I like to think that my "high horse" bucked me off a long time ago. While I really like Hillary Swank, I think I would rather have a connection to someone like Erin Gruwell. I would encourage you to watch the movie, but I would challenge you to read the book.

Soooo, back to reality for me - while my partner is away hob-nobbing with the famous, I should get back to my own "G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S" life (thanks, Fergie!...helping the masses to become better spellers, one song at a time) - you know, laundry, food, dishes, pet care...oh yeah, and parenthood!

His2Dads

2 comments:

OHmommy said...

Ummm, how did you know I was going to be catching up on some serious Project Runway tonight?

You are good!

Congrats on the surviving the new tooth eruption alone.

You are good!

JustADad said...

*Laughing* I can't do it, I just can't...I have a confession to make (darn that Catholic guilt still left in me!)...

I didn't survive it alone :( My parents were right by my side...Thank goodness for mothers, especially those with nursing careers!

But thanks just the same...